Home > Company > Our Company
The Eddy Group of Companies began in the late 1800s with George S. Eddy of Bathurst, New Brunswick, who was a wheelwright by trade. In 1909, when he incorporated George Eddy Company, Limited, George Eddy was operating a sawmill, finishing mill, millwork shop, carriage shop, and flour mill. George Eddy's son, Chesley George, known to all as "the Boss," ran the company from the first world war through to the 1960s. Under his leadership the company expanded through the Maritimes and into Quebec, diversifying into forestry and lumber manufacturing.
By the 1950s, the emphasis had shifted to sales and distribution of building materials, hardware, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and municipal supplies, with branches in New Brunswick (Bathurst, Fredericton, Miramichi, Saint John, and Dieppe) and Nova Scotia (Amherst, Truro, Halifax, and Kentville). C. G. Eddy was joined from the 1930s on by six of his sons, who took over management in the 1950s and '60s.
By the 1980s a fourth generation of cousins had begun work for the company. Now in the new millennium, this generation in its second decade of leadership has aggressively positioned the Eddy Group of Companies to further prosper and grow.
The Maritime based family business has come a long way since the late 1800s, but the basic business philosophy remains the same: "Building On Service", to provide reliable, competitive, and innovative solutions for its customers in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.